There shall be two modes of evaluation of the academic performance of the students offering the B.A. course, namely, the Intra-Semester Assessment (ISA) and the Semester End Examination (SEE), hereafter mentioned as ISA and SEE respectively, for convenience. A student shall be required to appear for ISA as well as SEE.
(a)The ISA (Intra-Semester Assessment) shall be conducted twice in a given Semester once through a test and other by using alternate modes of evaluation such as assignment, presentation, orals etc. Generally, ISA for a given paper shall be conducted by the teacher/s teaching that paper. ISA shall not be conducted for the practical component of a paper. The schedule for the ISAs shall be notified to all at the beginning of the semester. The marks of ISA shall be communicated to the students within two weeks.
(b)The ISA tests shall carry 20% of maximum marks allotted for the paper/course
(c)The test shall preferably be completed by the end of July for odd semesters and end of January for even semesters. Students who fail to appear for the test due to genuine reason shall be given another opportunity by the end of August / February on a date pre-dermined by the college. The other mode of ISA will be completed as decided by the teacher but before the end of the semester.
(d) A student who does not appear for a minimum of two ISA of a paper shall not be eligible to answer SEE of that paper
(a) The SEE (Semester End Examination) shall be conducted at the conclusion of a given Semester. Semester End Examinations shall cover the course of studies prescribed for the concerned / respective Semester.
(b) A candidate shall be considered to have successfully fulfilled the requirements of a Semester and deemed eligible to appear for the Semester End Examination provided he/she fulfills the minimum attendance requirements (75%) as per the relevant rules of the University. A candidate, failing to fulfill these conditions, shall have to repeat the Semester.
(c) The duration of SEE theory paper carrying 80 marks shall be of 120 minutes and the theory paper carrying 40 marks shall be of 90 minutes.
There shall be no revaluation of answer books of the candidates at Semester-I to Semester-IV examinations. However the existing provisions in the university for revaluation /verification shall be applicable to semester V & VI Personal verification of marks shall be granted to the candidate in the presence of Principal/Vice- Principal and the concerned Examiner, provided he has applied for the same along with payment of prescribed fees within one week of the declaration of results. The following shall be the procedure for the verification of marks:
(a)On a notified day and time, which should be not later than 10 days after the receipt of application from the candidate, the candidate shall be shown the answer book in the chamber of the Principal/Vice-Principal in the presence of the Examiner concerned.
(b) If the candidate is not satisfied with the results on personal verification of answer book, he may apply to College Grievance Committee within a week.
(c)The College Grievance Committee shall take appropriate action as per the relevant Ordinance and inform the candidate of the decision taken accordingly.
a) A theory paper carrying 100 marks shall have ISA component of 20 marks and a SEE component of 80 marks. For a 75 marks theory paper, the ISA component shall be 15 marks and the SEE component shall be 60 marks. A theory paper carrying 50 marks shall have ISA component of 10 marks and SEE component of 40 marks
b)A candidate shall be required to score a minimum 40% of maximum marks in ISA and SEE component taken together to pass in a paper in semester I to semester VI.
c)marks secured by the student in ISA shall be carried forward even if he/she fails in the paper.
During the Semesters V & VI a candidate of B.A./B .Com. shall be assigned work for completing the Project paper in the area/field of subject/s. Project work and the Report shall be based on field work/library work/laboratory work or on-the- job training or similar work assigned by the teacher on a topic identified by the latter. Project work shall be assigned to a single student or up to a group of five students Candidates shall be required to carry out a project in a subject which is in Semester- V and submit the Project Report at the end of Semester- VI for evaluation. The assessment of the project paper shall be done equally by Internal Examiner (Project Supervisor- for 50 marks) and External Examiner (-for 50 marks) as per the guidelines defined in the project manual.
At the end of every semester upto and including semester VI., There would be an opportunity for students of all previous semesters to clear the papers. Such candidates shall be required to remit the requisite additional fee(s). Such appearance shall be appropriately indicated in the statement(s) of marks.
Students are permitted to appear in a special examination conducted preferably after 15 days from the declaration of results of semester-IV for those who have any backlogs of all semesters including semester I irrespective of whether a student has already attempted 4 times in the said examination.
To be eligible for class, the student shall be required to complete the course in the minimum prescribed period and shall be required to pass Semester-V and Semester- VI each in a single seating with all SEE papers and Practicals of respective Semesters. The class shall be awarded on the basis of the aggregate total of marks scored at
Semester-V and Semester-VI taken together, as follows:
40% and above but less than 50% - Pass Class
50% and above but less than 60% - Second class
60% and above but less than 70% - First Class
A candidate who has passed the B.A./B.Com./B.Sc. degree examination and desires to improve his/her performance/total score shall be permitted to appear again. However, such a candidate shall be allowed to reappear only in the SEE component of the papers of Semester V and/or Semester VI examinations excluding the Project Paper and the Skill-based papers. For this purpose, the marks scored at the first appearance, in the Project Paper and in the Skill-based paper as also in ISA component of the other papers, shall be carried forward for tabulation of the result under “improvement of performance”. This facility to reappear under “improvement” shall be available only during the immediately subsequent regular Semester-V and Semester-VI examinations. A candidate shall not be permitted to reappear for improvement of performance at Semesters- I, II, III and IV. The candidate availing of this provision shall be considered to have passed Semesters- V and/or VI “under improvement” and this fact shall be recorded on his/her statements of marks and other relevant documents. The candidate shall be required to surrender the original statement of marks and other relevant documents at the time of receiving the fresh statement of marks in the event of improvement of performance/total score. The performance of a candidate, who appears under this provision and fails to improve, shall be ignored. A candidate can appear only once under this clause.
The semester-wise aggregate marks secured by the candidate in Semester-I to Semester-IV examinations along with the paper-wise marks secured in Semester-V shall be indicatedin the statement of marks issued to the candidate for Semester-V. Similarly, the semester-wise aggregate marks secured by the candidate in Semester-I to Semester-V examinations along with the paper-wise marks secured in Semester- VI shall be indicated in the final statement of marks issued to the candidate after the Semester-VI examination for the integrated B.A./B.Com. degree course. In case the student passes any Semester or part thereof in the second appearance, it shall be so indicated in the statement of marks of Semester-V and Semester-VI.
A candidate registered for the three year B.A./ B.Com. Degree course shall be required to successfully complete all papers and obtain 40% marks in all papers. 100 marks shall also be allotted for the project and added to the aggregate. The award of class shall be determined accordingly. There would be no conversion of marks into grades.Allotment of Grace Marks Amendment to ordinance relating to the grace marks at the University Examination Scheme for Award of Entitlement Marks Candidates who has participated in NCC/ NSS/Sports/Cultural events shall be entitled to entitlement marks as per the following scheme.
Candidates who have been enrolled as members of the NCC and are certified by the Principal of their college as having satisfactorily completed 40 parade’s for Semester Scheme
Candidates who have participated in the NSS programme and are certified by the Principal of their college as having satisfactorily completed 60 hours of social service comprising the time spent in one or more types of projects during a semester for the Semester Scheme of examination.
Candidates who have to their credit participation in cultural events during the academic year/semester as specific below. Cultural Events At the University Level
All the students who are members of the winning and runners-up teams at the Inter- Collegiate level where competitions for team Championship are actually conducted by the University.
In the case of individual events at the Inter-Collegiate meets conducted by the University as in the case of cultural events, students winning first three places, in the order of merit. Cultural Events At the Inter-University/ Inter-State/(representing the University or State or Nation) National/International(representing the University or State or Nation) Level.
All the above category of students participating in the NCC/NSS/Cultural Events at the University/Inter-University/Inter-State/national/International level (representing the University or State) level shall be entitled to the gracing of 1% of maximum aggregate marks under any one or more of conditions (a) to 9d) mentioned below, for the examination pertaining to the respective semester/academic year.
A candidate who fails to pass in one or more head of passing shall be graced to the extent of 5% of the maximum marks allotted to the head of passing subject to a maximum of 1% of maximum aggregate marks.
A candidate shall be entitled to grace marks up to a maximum of 1% of maximum aggregate marks for the purpose of the award of class/honours or distinction at an examination of head of passing.
A candidate who fails to pass a examination shall be graced up to a maximum of 1% of the maximum aggregate marks for the purpose of an exemption in a Heads of passing provided the marks so graced in a Head/Heads of passing shall not exceed 5% of the maximum marks allotted to the Head/heads of passing.
The entitlement marks whether allotted or not fully or partially under any of the heads of passing shall be shown along with the grand total with appropriate ‘#’sign Provided that in the case of a candidate appearing at the University examination under semester system, the benefit of gracing mentioned above shall be given at the respective semester examinations. The entitlements marks under the scheme shall not be counted for purposes of placement in the order of merit or award of scholarships, prizes and medals of of other awards. However, such marks can be utilized for award of Class/honors/distinction. Level of participation in the cultural event within the State of Goa:
Grace marks may be awarded to the 1st three prizes winners in the team as well as individual events organized by the State Government/Central Governemt organizations.
In the events, at least 10 colleges should participate, only then the winner should be considered for the award of the grace marks.
The Principals of those colleges whose students have secured 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prizes should verify and forward the names of the students to the University for the award of grace marks.
The organizing agencies should also forward the names of the students and a list of the participating colleges to the University.
Candidates who have to their credit, participation in Sports events during the academic year/semester as specified below.
A candidate shall be eligible for Sports Merit Marks only after the completion of his/her performance in the event and the marks so allotted shall be counted for his/her first appearance at the respective Semester exam only. In the event of his/her performance in more than one category /sport, only the Highest marks allotted in any one category/sport will be considered. For the purpose of allotment of marks, sports events shall be divided in to the following categories.
- Category A: A students representing India in the following International events.Olympic games, World Championships, World Cups, Davis Cup, Thomas Cup, Uber Cup, Para Olympic Games, Winter Olympic Games, Champions Trophy, Common wealth Games, Commonwealth Championship, World University Games, World University Championships, Asian Games (Indoor /Outdoor Games), Asian Cups, Asian Championships, Asian Winter Games, Asian Para Olympics, Wimbledon Championship, US, French and Australia Open Tennis Championships, All England Badminton Tournament, Youth Olympic Games.
- Category B: Students representing India in the following International events/championships recognized by national sports federation which are duly approved by the ministry of youth affairs and sports/indian olympic association / Association of Indian Universities. One Day International Cricket Matches, Cricket Test Matches, Common Wealth Youth Games, International Athletics Permit Meet, Asian Youth Games, Asian Martial Art Games SAF Games. Any other International games/sports recognized by Indian Olympic Association.
- Category C : Students representing Goa State for National events organized by the recognized National Federation which are duly approved by the recognized National Federation which are duly approved by the Indian Olympic Association/Associating of Indian Universities.
- National Games
- National Championship (Only one in each recognized discipline to be determined by the respective National Federation)
- Federation Cups organized by National Sports Federations recognized by the Government of India and Indian Olympic Association.
- National Sports Festivals for Women.
- Category D (1) : Students representing Goa University in the All India Inter-University Champion- ships approved by Association of Indians Universities.
- Category D(2) : Students representing Goa University in Zonal Inter-University Championships approved by Association of Indian Universities.
- Category E : Students representing the College in the Inter-collegiate Tournaments as approved by the Sports Council and organized by Goa University. A. Student shall have to attend a minimum of ten practice sessions consisting of two hours each, organized by the College/University in the form of Inter-Class/ Intramural competition/coaching in order to be eligible for participation/selection at inter-college championships.
Allotment of Sports Merit Marks to Categories
Students participating in Sports shall be eligible for merit marks for participation and achievements as per the table given below:
Sports Merit Marks allotted to a student passing on his/her own merit shall be indicated separately in the mark sheet and shall be counted for the purpose of class, honours or distinction. However, unless otherwise eligible, the same shall not be counted for the purposes of obtaining any University scholarship, prizes, medals or placement in order of merit/rank for the said exam.
- A student shall be eligible for the Sports Merit Marks in a particular Paper/Subject, provided that he/she shall have obtained a minimum of 50% of marks required to pass/claim exemption in that Paper/Subject. In the event of the student being unable to utilize the Sports Merit Marks, the same can be carried forward to the subsequent appearance of the same examination.
- A student failing in a particular Paper(s)/Subjects (s), whether in theory or practical or both, the Sports Merit Marks shall be added to the Paper(s)/Subjects(s) and indicated by a hash (#), after which the general marks will be added and indicated by a dollar ($) Balance marks, if any, shall be shown separately in the mark sheet.
- In case of semester system of examination, the entitlement marks on account of participation of sports shall be awarded at the examination conducted at the end of the semester during which the student is eligible for such marks. The students participating in Sports/NCC/NSS/Cultural activities shall be eligible to get marks under only one category in whichever he/she scores maximum.